Nick Cassidy topped the timesheets in free practice 2, ahead of qualifying for the opening race of the London E-Prix.

Cassidy started Saturday on top after setting a 1m 11.264s, in what was a damp session. The championship contender was the fastest driver by three-tenths of a second at the ExCeL Centre circuit, with Dan Ticktum and Envision team-mate Sébastian Buemi completing the top three.

As the opening session of the first race day got underway, the circuit was wet in places, following overnight and early morning rain. The sky was surprisingly blue though, with the air temperature having been 18°C whilst the circuit was 28°C. The FIA declared ahead of the session that the track was wet.

Unsurprisingly, given the track conditions, the initial times were several seconds slower than what Norman Nato achieved on Friday evening in free practice 1. With rain not falling though, a dry line began to appear quickly.

Championship contender Cassidy was the early pacesetter after the opening 10 minutes on a 1m 14.995, just over four seconds slower than what was achieved in the dry on Friday. Lucas Di Grassi sat in second ahead of reigning World Champion Stoffel Vandoorne.

As the circuit continued to evolve though, the times constantly tumbled. Rookie Sacha Fenestraz went a second quicker than Cassidy’s time as FP2 moved into its second half, to go fastest momentarily.

Mitch Evans soon replaced the Frenchman at the top of the timesheets after breaking into the mid 1m 12s, to go just under two seconds slower than the best time in FP1. The New Zealander then broke into the 1m 11s on his next push lap, after posting a 1m 11.810s.

Cassidy returned to the front with five minutes left on the clock after going just over a tenth of a second quicker than his compatriot, before the duo were both demoted a spot after Pascal Wehrlein went fastest.

Cassidy was back to the top following his next hot lap though, as Ticktum slotted in behind him in second with just two minutes remaining. That’s ultimately how the session finished, as a red flag was flown with just under a minute remaining.

A red flag was required after Robin Frijns went into the wall at Turn 16, with him having lost control whilst braking for the corner. He was able to reverse out of the barrier and return to the pits; however, debris was scattered across the circuit.

So, Cassidy topped the session ahead of qualifying thanks to setting a 1m 11.264, three-tenths quicker than Ticktum in second. Buemi finished the session in third, ahead of Wehrlein and championship leader Jake Dennis. Dennis was once again unhappy with his car.

Sixth was claimed by Evans, with Sérgio Sette Câmara, André Lotterer, Vandoorne and Di Grassi completing the top 10.

Qualifying for the opening race of the season finale gets underway at 12:40 GMT.

Source:  Read More 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *